REFASTENING THE HULL
Oak bearers to support the bulkheads, fastened with copper and bronze. The original bearers floated above the frames but the new ones have an additional function, as boats age they can sag either side of the keel, the new bearers are much bigger than the originals and fully fastened to the hull to prevent this.
Where copper fastenings were needed we cut lengths of copper rod. The thickness varies depending on the original that is being replaced but most are 1/2 or 5/8 inch diameter.
We peened one end over a bronze washer to make a head and then threaded the other end to take a bronze nut. This keeps the head shallow on the outer, plank side and allows the fastening to be tightened as needed now, and in future. We had to make a lot of these fastenings and became very practiced at it. A drop of thin oil helps to thread them smoothly.
A large quantity of teak became available. Having already laid the afterdeck in pine we had to make a difficult decision - we changed our plans and lifted the deck again to relay it in solid teak.
Finishing work on the afterdeck. Caulked with cotton, payed with Sikaflex.